Interior of Craft School in Stepney Green
Interior of Craft School in Stepney Green
More information
Interior of Craft School in Stepney Green
SC_PHL_01_399_166c (Collage 120230)
London Metropolitan Archives: LCC Photograph Library
Interior view of a south east rear room of the Craft School at number 37-39 Stepney Green, Stepney. There is an ornate marble fire surround and a mirror above with corbels and central pediment. There are bookcases on either side of the chimney breast and a display cabinet with "Whitechapel Craft School" printed on it. This Grade II listed Queen Anne house was built in 1694 by Dormar Sheppard, a slave owner and merchant. Notable owners include Dame Mary Gayer, widow of the East India Company's Governor of Bombay, and in 1812-19 Nicholas Charrington, proprietor of the local Charrington Brewery. It became an institution and was a home for aged Jews after 1880, the Craft School in 1907, and served as Council Offices and a Careers Office during the 1980s. In 1998 it was purchased by the Spitalfields Trust and restored to become a family home.
Copyright London Metropolitan Archives, all rights reserved. Provided for research purposes only. For commercial and other uses please contact us via collage@cityoflondon.gov.uk
London Metropolitan Archives. Please cite document title, reference and collection.