Stepney Green Dwellings in Stepney Green
Stepney Green Dwellings in Stepney Green
More information
Stepney Green Dwellings in Stepney Green
SC_PHL_01_399_F4047 (Collage 120364)
London Metropolitan Archives: LCC Photograph Library
A view of Stepney Green Dwellings, also know as Stepney Green Court, Stepney Green, Stepney. Seven-storey red brick Victorian dwellings built by the Four Per Cent Industrial Dwellings Company and completed in 1895. The name of this philanthropic company came from the plan that a four percent return could be made on the investment needed to construct good housing which could be provided at an affordable rent. These dwellings initially housed a large proportion of the local Russian and Polish Jewish community. The photograph was taken from inside Stepney Green Gardens. These buildings have attic rooms, numerous chimney stacks and children and washing lines can be seen on the balconied stairwells.
Copyright London Metropolitan Archives, all rights reserved. Provided for research purposes only. For commercial and other uses please contact us via collage@cityoflondon.gov.uk
London Metropolitan Archives. Please cite document title, reference and collection.