Corner of St Mary Axe and Leadenhall Street
Corner of St Mary Axe and Leadenhall Street
More information
Corner of St Mary Axe and Leadenhall Street
SC_PHL_01_014_80_6942 (Collage 53371)
London Metropolitan Archives: LCC Photograph Library
View of St Mary Axe and Leadenhall Street, City of London. It incorporates the Aviva building to the left, and Lloyd's Bank on the corner, with the church of St Andrew Undershaft next door. The street takes its name from a church built sometime before 1197, which once had an axe believed to have been one of three with which the Eleven Thousand Virgins were beheaded. St Andrew Undershaft is so called due to a very tall maypole that was put up beside the church each year until 1517, when a riot of city apprentices left 300 people arrested and a man hanged. After this the maypole was put under the eaves of houses in Shaft Alley until declared a heathen idol and chopped and burnt in 1549. Cars line the street and a man walks across the sunken pavement and another up the steps.
Copyright London Metropolitan Archives, all rights reserved. Provided for research purposes only. For commercial and other uses please contact us via collage@cityoflondon.gov.uk
London Metropolitan Archives. Please cite document title, reference and collection.