Gaumont Palace and Six Bells public house in Queen Caroline Street
Gaumont Palace and Six Bells public house in Queen Caroline Street
More information
Gaumont Palace and Six Bells public house in Queen Caroline Street
SC_PHL_01_127_F3481 (Collage 67642)
London Metropolitan Archives: LCC Photograph Library
Queen Caroline Street (formerly Queen Street renamed in 1944) with Great Church Lane (on left), Hammersmith. The Grade II listed Gaumont Cinema (now commonly known as The Hammersmith Odeon or Apollo), at 45 Queen Caroline Street, can be seen in the centre. Opened in 1932 as the Gaumont Palace, it seated 3,487 people. It had a large 35 foot deep stage, with fan shaped auditorium. One of the UK’s largest and best-preserved original theatres, it hosted famous performers over the years such as Buddy Holly, The Beatles, Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong. It has been variously known as Gaumont Palace (1932-62), Hammersmith Odeon (1962-92), Labatt's Apollo (1992-96), Hammersmith Apollo (1996-2002; 2006-09, 2013), Carling Apollo Hammersmith (2002-06), and HMV Hammersmith Apollo (2009-12). 'Anna and the King of Siam' is being performed. Partial Bisto advertisement can be seen on the building on the left. Six Bells public house visible on the right at 33 Queen Street was demolished in 1959 for the creation of Hammersmith flyover. Traffic safety poster visible in the foreground.
Copyright London Metropolitan Archives, all rights reserved. Provided for research purposes only. For commercial and other uses please contact us via collage@cityoflondon.gov.uk
London Metropolitan Archives. Please cite document title, reference and collection.