Terrace houses in Grindal Street
Terrace houses in Grindal Street
More information
Terrace houses in Grindal Street
SC_PHL_01_246_B2645 (Collage 87264)
London Metropolitan Archives: LCC Photograph Library
This nineteenth-century two-storey terraced housing at Grindal Street, Lambeth, was cleared post war and the Munro House flats were built just behind the site. The street was named after the sixteenth-century archbishop Edmund Grindal as a result of Lambeth Palace being close by. The name still exists on a small dead-end street. On Charles Booth's Poverty map of 1889 this area was denoted as very poor. A group of children can be see in the road, on the corner and in the doorway. A woman with a broom is on the right. Two street lamps are in view and shops on Lower Marsh are in the distance.
Copyright London Metropolitan Archives, all rights reserved. Provided for research purposes only. For commercial and other uses please contact us via collage@cityoflondon.gov.uk
London Metropolitan Archives. Please cite document title, reference and collection.