The City of London’s Collage website uses cookies. For details on how we use cookies please read our policy on cookies.
(this requires a cookie)
Vacant site between Upper North Street and Ellesmere Street
Vacant site between Upper North Street and Ellesmere Street
98774
Vacant site between Upper North Street and Ellesmere Street
A view across the vacant site at the junction of Upper North Street and Ellesmere Street, Poplar. The buildings that once occupied this vacant site with Brabazon Street running through its centre were all destoyed by bombing during World War II. The former Phoenix Cement Works and a tar and resin distillery are visible to the left beyond the site, as are numerous industrial chimneys in the background. Alton Street School can be seen to the right of Ellesmere Street. All the buildings visible including the school were demolished to make way for the building of the Lansbury Estate from 1949 onwards.
1947
London Metropolitan Archives
LCC Photograph Library
photograph
SC_PHL_01_291_80_2072
F0375
Exact
Subjects