The City of London’s Collage website uses cookies. For details on how we use cookies please read our policy on cookies.
(this requires a cookie)
Renovation of a building in Stepney Green
Renovation of a building in Stepney Green
120261
Renovation of a building in Stepney Green
Renovation of number 37-39 Stepney Green, Stepney, a Grade II listed Queen Anne House which was built in 1694 by Dormar Sheppard, a slave owner and merchant. Notable owners include Dame Mary Gayer, widow of the East India Company's Governor of Bombay, and in 1812-19 Nicholas Charrington, proprietor of the local Charrington Brewery. It became an institution and was a home for aged Jews after 1880, the Craft School in 1907, and served as Council Offices and a Careers Office during the 1980s. In 1998 it was purchased by the Spitalfields Trust and restored to become a family home. There is a builder on the scaffolding surrounding the building. To the right the entrance and part of the sign for the London Jewish Hospital are visible.
1958
London Metropolitan Archives
LCC Photograph Library
photograph
SC_PHL_01_399_58_1412
Approximate
Subjects