The City of London’s Collage website uses cookies. For details on how we use cookies please read our policy on cookies.
(this requires a cookie)
Terrace houses in Grindal Street
Terrace houses in Grindal Street
of 27
87264
Terrace houses in Grindal Street
This nineteenth-century two-storey terraced housing at Grindal Street, Lambeth, was cleared post war and the Munro House flats were built just behind the site. The street was named after the sixteenth-century archbishop Edmund Grindal as a result of Lambeth Palace being close by. The name still exists on a small dead-end street. On Charles Booth's Poverty map of 1889 this area was denoted as very poor. A group of children can be see in the road, on the corner and in the doorway. A woman with a broom is on the right. Two street lamps are in view and shops on Lower Marsh are in the distance.
1936
London Metropolitan Archives
LCC Photograph Library
photograph
SC_PHL_01_246_B2645
Approximate
Lambeth, Metropolitan Borough of; Lambeth, London Borough of
Subjects