The City of London’s Collage website uses cookies. For details on how we use cookies please read our policy on cookies.
(this requires a cookie)
Stepney Green Gardens
Stepney Green Gardens
of 245
120272
Stepney Green Gardens
A view through Stepney Green Gardens, Stepney Green, Stepney, showing a man with a pram and a dog sitting on a bench. Behind the trees and fence of the gardens, numbers 29-39 Stepney Green can be seen along with the London Jewish Hospital. The hospital was established to serve the needs of the substantial Jewish population in the East End, who generally spoke Yiddish and had strict dietary requirements. The Outpatients Department was completed in 1919 and in 1921 the wards opened, with facilities including kitchens for the preparation of kosher food. It was extended in 1926 and 1927, a five-storey nurses home opened in 1939, a synagogue was built in 1956 and new outpatient and casualty departments opened in 1962. In 1979, despite local Jewish opposition, the site was sold for redevelopment as a private clinic. The hospital and synagogue were demolished and the London Independent Hospital with a frontage on Beaumont Square constructed. Housing now occupies what was the Stepney Green frontage.
1969
London Metropolitan Archives
LCC Photograph Library
photograph
SC_PHL_01_399_69_3380
Approximate
Subjects