The City of London’s Collage website uses cookies. For details on how we use cookies please read our policy on cookies.
(this requires a cookie)
43 King Street, Covent Garden
43 King Street, Covent Garden
of 46
134805
43 King Street, Covent Garden
Front elevation of 43 King Street, Covent Garden. Horse-drawn vehicles and pedestrians. The address is very important in the history of British boxing. The National Sporting Club (NSC) was founded in 1891 as a private club. There were strict rules for boxers and members. Bouts would take place after dinner, before about 1300 members and guests. The bouts would be fought in silence as no talking was permitted during the rounds. In 1909. the club's president Hugh Lowther, Fifth Earl of Lonsdale', introduced the Lonsdale Belt as a prize to be awarded to the British champion at each weight. The belts were made of porcelain and twenty-two carat gold. NSC moved premises in 1929, but went into liquidation during the Second World War. Most of the board members of The British Boxing Board of Control, formed in 1929 to control the sport, were senior NSC members.
1925
London Metropolitan Archives
LCC Photograph Library
- Updated 2010 10 28
photograph
SC_PHL_01_489_WN382
Subjects