The City of London’s Collage website uses cookies. For details on how we use cookies please read our policy on cookies.
(this requires a cookie)
Stepney Green Dwellings in Stepney Green
Stepney Green Dwellings in Stepney Green
120364
Stepney Green Dwellings in Stepney Green
A view of Stepney Green Dwellings, also know as Stepney Green Court, Stepney Green, Stepney. Seven-storey red brick Victorian dwellings built by the Four Per Cent Industrial Dwellings Company and completed in 1895. The name of this philanthropic company came from the plan that a four percent return could be made on the investment needed to construct good housing which could be provided at an affordable rent. These dwellings initially housed a large proportion of the local Russian and Polish Jewish community. The photograph was taken from inside Stepney Green Gardens. These buildings have attic rooms, numerous chimney stacks and children and washing lines can be seen on the balconied stairwells.
1947
London Metropolitan Archives
LCC Photograph Library
- Updated 2010 10 28
photograph
SC_PHL_01_399_F4047
Approximate
Subjects